Campaign Finance Information

Who should register as a political committee with the Nash County Board of Elections? 
Any candidate, referendum committee or political action committee as defined in N.C. G.S. §163-278.6 must register by filing the appropriate organizational forms. Those persons filing Campaign Finance forms with the Nash County BOE are candidates for: 

  • Board of Commissioners
  • Sheriff
  • Register of Deeds
  • Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisors
  • Mayors and City/Town Council Members/Commissioner Members
  • Board of Education
  • Referendum committees and PACs influencing issues strictly within the confines of Nash County register with the Nash County Board of Elections.

What forms are to be filed?
The forms are varied, depending on the type of committee and the amount of committee expenditures and receipts. Most committees file a Statement of Organization, a Certification of Treasurer, a Certification of Financial Account Information and periodic financial Disclosure Reports. Those candidate committees with intentions of spending and/or receiving only $1,000 or less will file a Certification of Threshold in lieu of Disclosure Reports.

All Joint Fundraiser Committees, Referenda and PACs must file financial Disclosure Reports, regardless of amounts spent or received. Starting in 2009 county finance reports will be available to the public on this website under Campaign Reports. Copies of reports from previous years are available at the board office.

Where should the forms be filed?
County committees send all forms and reports by manual delivery or by mail to the NASH COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS, 1006 Eastern Ave, PO Box 305, Nashville, NC 27856. If using the U.S. Postal Service, the use of certified mail is strongly recommended.

When are the forms to be filed?
Organizational papers and the initial Disclosure Report must be filed within 10 calendar days of the first financial activity or within 10 days of filing for office, whichever occurs first. For subsequent reports, committees follow schedules set forth by NC General Statutes depending on the election. Substantial penalties may be levied for late reports.

For more campaign finance information, e-mail or call 252-459-1350.

Detailed information on Campaign Finance can be found at the State Board of Elections website.  Click Here