Frequently Asked Questions

How and where can I get a voter registration form or change of address & party form?
  • Pick up a form at any Nash County Public Library, Department of Social Services, any town hall, the Board of Elections office at 1006 Eastern Ave, Nashville or download and print a form from our website. Complete and sign the form, then mail it to us. Registered voters may use the form to update their name, address and party. Registered voters may also update their registration information by completing the back of their voter card and mailing or delivering it to the Nash County Board of Elections. 

When is the deadline to register to vote in an election?

  • If hand-delivered, the registration form must be received at the Board of Elections office no later than 5 p.m. on the 25th day prior to the election.  If mailed, the registration form must be postmarked at least 25 days prior to the election. 

How do I know if my voter registration is up to date?

  • Click here to confirm the status of your voter registration, find your voting location, and view a sample ballot for the upcoming election. Online voter information is generally updated weekly. You can also call the Nash County Board of Elections office at 252-459-1350.
When can I change my party affiliation?

  • You may change your party affiliation any time before the registration deadline, except between first and second partisan primaries.  You may not change your party affiliation during one-stop voting for the partisan primary.

I am registered unaffiliated. May I vote in a primary election?

  • Party affiliation determines the primary in which a voter is eligible to vote. If you do not declare a party, you will be registered as unaffiliated. In a partisan primary election, you must choose which party ballot you wish to vote when you go to your voting place.

When are the polls open?

  • On Election Day, the polls are open from 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.

How do I know where to vote?

  • The Board of Elections will send you a new voter registration card in the mail when you register to vote, make an address change or information change or if the Board of Elections assigns you to a new precinct or polling place. Your voting location (polling place) is printed on the card.  You are assigned a polling place based on the precinct where you live. Online voter information is generally updated weekly. If you do not know where to vote or if you have moved from the residence address we have on file, don't wait until Election Day! You may experience a delay in voting if your residence address is not up to date or if we have sent mail to your voter registration address that was returned to us by the Postal Service.

Look up your registration status and polling place location here.

Do you have to request an Absentee Ballot for each Election?

  • Yes, however, a voter that has a continued or expected illness or disability can requested ballots for the remainder of the calendar year. 

Where can I view a sample ballot?

How should I vote if I moved within Nash County but did not send an address change before the election? 

  • If you moved within Nash County more than 30 days prior to an election and failed to notify the Board of Elections, you have two options:
    1. Vote early at any one-stop early voting location. NC General Statutes allow voters to change their address and vote the correct ballot for that updated address when voting at any one-stop early voting location. Near the date of the next election visit this website to view a list of one-stop early voting sites. One-stop early voting is the easiest and quickest option if you did not update your address.
    2. Vote at your new precinct on Election Day. You may be required to vote a provisional ballot. Please give yourself plenty of time to update your information at your new precinct. The process requires additional time to complete the forms necessary to update your information before you can be issued a ballot.

Can I vote in Nash County if I moved to the county less than 30 days before Election Day?

  • No, you must have lived in Nash County 30 days prior to the election.

What if I am unable to enter the polling place because of age or physical disability?

  • You may request an absentee ballot by mail. If you prefer to vote on Election Day or at an early voting site but are unable to enter the facility, you may vote outside the voting location in your car. This procedure is called "curbside voting." Look for the curbside voting sign near the entrance to the voting place and park there. A precinct election official will assist you in verifying your registration information and bringing you a ballot. Most precincts have a “Ballot Call” device that works like a door bell. Pressing the button on the Ballot Call will alert the precinct official that someone needs to vote curbside. If you cannot locate a Ballot Call device please ask someone to enter the voting place and inform the election officials that you need assistance.

I plan to bring a voter to vote curbside. Can I sit in the car and vote curbside too?

  • Only if you qualify by age or physical disability that you cannot enter the polling place.

I am legally blind. Can someone accompany me in the voting booth?

  • Yes, you may receive assistance from any person of your choice, except your employer or union agent. Alternately, you may ask one of the precinct election officials to assist you. 

Can I wear campaign clothing or take materials to vote?

  • Yes, as long as you don’t leave campaign materials or campaign while in the voting location. The polling place is checked regularly for campaign materials. If they are found, they are promptly discarded.

Who determines the order of the candidates listed on the ballot?

  •  The State Board Of Elections and General Statutes Determine the Name Order on the Ballot. 

Do I need a Photo ID to vote?

I am running for office, when can I put my signs out at the Polling Place?

  • N.C.G.S. 163-129 states that political signs may be placed at a polling place 36 hours before the Polling Place opens and must be removed 36 hours after close of the Polling Place.  Any signs placed or remaining outside of this time may be removed by the owner/facility.