Military Discharges

Recording Discharges and Requesting Copies

Military service records may be recorded in the Register of Deeds office. There is no fee for recording these records and certified copies can be obtained from this office at no charge subject to the following provisions:
  • G.S. 47-113.2(a) - Effective January 1, 2004, all military discharge records filed in the Register of Deeds office shall be considered public record with restricted access.
  • Restricted Access G.S. 47-113.2(b) - Authorized parties that may request or record a military discharge include:
    • The veteran named in the document
    • An agent/representative of the veteran authorized in writing:
        • By a veteran or veteran's widow/widower (present notarized authorization)
        • By a court representing the veteran (present court order)
        • By the veteran's executor acting on behalf of the deceased veteran (present letter of testamentary)
    • An authorized agent of the Division of Veteran Affairs, the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, the Department of Defense, a court official with an interest in assisting the veteran, or the deceased veteran's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit (present authorization and/or ID)
    • An agent or representative of the NC State Archives (present identification)
We cannot accept requests for copies by mail or phone. You may contact the Veteran's Affairs office at (252) 462-2720.